Sunday, May 4, 2008

Chicken Coop

We spent the evenings of last week and this weekend building our new chicken coop. It's going to be quite a bit bigger than I first imagined!

We based it on some of the coops on http://www.backyardchickens.com/ using the 4 x 8 size to best utilize 4 x 8 plyboard pieces.


DH and DD13 hard at work.


View of the nest boxes.


My wonderful DH and beautiful DD13.


While we were outside I saw this bug carrying this huge worm. It appears to be some kind of flying ant, but much bigger than any ant I've ever seen, and it has huge pincers. It obviously had someplace very important to get this worm to, so I followed it.


And I was surprised to find that it was on its way to this hold in the ground. It pulled the worm in after it. If you know what this interesting bug is, please let me know!

Anyway! More about the coop.


Our little chicks are so big now! They spend days outside, either in their brooder or else in a little pen I have set up for them. We decided to see what two of them would think about their future living quarters.


Awwww... they're so cute.


LOL. DD13 peeking through the chicken entrance door.


And here is the back of it, as you can see we have it painted with the primer coat, and we have the roof on. The door on the back is for cleaning and "human" access to the coop.

It's not finished yet, this week we'll finish the painting (it will be green) and add the final touches. Once we have it moved to it's final home we'll add the outside pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...