Saturday, August 30, 2008

Gem Squash

Want to try something new in your garden next year?

Try get your hands on some gem squash seeds! If you can't find any drop me a line, I'd be happy to share a couple seeds with you :)

Gem squash is grown in South Africa and very similar in taste and texture to acorn squash, but half a gem is a perfect serving size, unless you happen to be in my family, then you'll need one squash per person!

Gems are round and smooth. You can pick them at any stage of their development. If you pick them when they are still very little then you can cook them whole and eat them seeds and all. If you let them get big but still green then they will be very tender and the skin will also be tender enough to eat if you want (like my kiddos!) Once they start getting a little orange then the skin becomes thicker and you can store them for a long time.



This is what gems look like as little bitty baby veggies.



And here they are, halved and ready for the oven. You can see the difference in the ages of the gems. The very yellow ones were allowed to riped and the skin to thicken. They make a good side dish no matter what their age!

Our favorite (indeed the only way we do!) way to cook them is to halve them and then place them cut side down on a cookie sheet with a little water in the bottom. Put in the oven at 375 F for about 45 minutes. You should be able to easily stick a fork through the skin once they are cooked. Don't let the pan dry out, top up with hot water if needed.... but don't mess cold water on the glass of your oven door in the process! The glass *will* crack very prettily, and this will happen just before Thanksgiving, leaving you without an oven. Ask me how I know! Ha!

Talk about getting sidetracked. Anyway, once the gems are done, you will remove them from the oven and then scoop out the seeds. If your gems are tender enough then the seeds will still be edible, so you can eat them if you like. We scoop out the seeds and then add a pat of butter and a teaspoon of sugar to each gem half.

A true taste of South Africa!

18 comments:

  1. i wil be back to check this info but if you could tel me the histry of a gem squash and tell me where and when it was found

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you found anywhere to find gem seeds. Know how they will grow in North Carolina?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can I get gem squash seeds in the U.S.??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I haven't been on here in ages! Just checked and see I have comments. Anonymous, I'll look up the info if you're still interested. Raven and Hank, if you still want seeds let me know at coloradoCLfamily at gmail dot com. Send me your addy and I'll mail you a few seeds. Hank, they will grow just the same as acorn squash in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi -

    I am a South African desperately trying to get hold of some gem seeds. I live in Denver Colorado.

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lesley, I'm in Aurora - did you see any tornado sightings today? Send me your address to coloradoCLfamily at gmail dot com and I'll mail you out some seeds :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, My South African friend gave me some gem squash seeds to grow in my garden. The plant is doing really well and it seems to be producing a lot of squash - but about half of them are yellow and hard - do you know of any reason this would be happening? ...but the squash that have survived have been soooo yummy :)

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, I am still interested in knowing the answers to my question about some of the squash growing into gourds? I also wonder if you have had any success with saving seeds and using them for the next years crop....thanks :)

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear All,
    As a South African - I have yearned for Gem squash. We live in Florida where we are now supposed to plant our squash - please can you SELL me some of your seeds?..love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a transplanted Zimbabwean living in Washington state, and I've kept my stock of gem squash going for 18 years. Nearly lost it recently as my garden was becoming too shaded for good production. But this summer I made a new garden in the sun (on the front lawn) and had a bumper crop! So I can share seed - email me your contact info at
    resend24712@mypacks.net

    To keep the seed stock pure you should not grow it in proximity to other types of squash. I don't know the exact cross-pollination distance, but I only grow this squash (and beg zucchini from friends to make ginger jam) and I have no difficulty.

    Re. making gourds from gem squash - I kept the most mature ones that almost require a hacksaw for cutting. I cut off the tops and they hardened wonderfully, and I used them as candle moulds.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. pleased that some Americans have gem squash. I hope to grow some with the seeds that Diane sends me!My south african hubby loves gem squash and we have looked for it everywhere! I will see if it grows in Florda.love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got some seeds from discoverprotea.com and grew them last year. Germination was fine, but the plants were hammered by mildew, even though I live in a dry climate (S. Cal). I think these are heirloom seeds, and haven't been bred for disease resistance. I'll try again this year and be more scrupulous about pruning and suppressing mildew, maybe with neem. Still I got a few gems and my kids and I loved them, my wife won't touch them ;).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will mail free Gem Squash seeds anywhere in the USA. To grow them, follow directions you may find for growing Acorn Squash in your area.

    Send me an e-mail, you'll receive about two dozen seeds in a few days.

    Keith

    kmeintjes@gmail.com
    Waterford, MI

    ReplyDelete
  15. Try gem squash baked in the oven filled with creamed corn, topped with grated cheese and paprika. beeeuatiful. Just like Granny used to make for sunday lunch

    ReplyDelete
  16. Updating my email address as a source of gem squash seed; use I'm in Washington State (Don't use the mypacks.net address - no longer valid)
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,

    If you have any Gem seeds to spare I would love to grow some in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry Gavin, no gem squash seeds available yet. Please contact Keith for seeds. Diana, did you have an updated email address to share?

    Thank you to everyone who is willing to share their seeds :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...