Monday, April 18, 2011

Green chickens and other weirdness


So I have decided that for the amount of chicken feed we go through (even with free ranging) that getting 6 to 8 eggs a day just isn't cutting it from 13 hens. So I'm on a mission. Every so often I went out there this morning to see who was in the nesting box. Now my kiddos can tell every chicken apart.. I can't.. so I've been putting a drop of green food coloring on each chicken who was sitting on a nest. And THAT is why I currently have six green tinged chickens.

Six green chickens.. six eggs in the carton.. that adds up... BUT!

Notice something funny? My kids thought this was hilarious! I have no idea why one chicken laid such a teeny tiny egg.

That's a regular size egg, and the tiny egg. Weird.

Anyway, I have been reminding the chickens about the "You don't lay, you don't stay" policy I first told them about when they joined us last year on the farm. They just look at me with that blank chicken stare though..

And now I better get off here so I can get outside and put the 8.5 lbs of Kennebec seed potatoes that I bought for the bargain price of 99c in the ground! The other potatoes are already sprouting beautifully. I also have to go supervise the tilling DH is about to do, we're getting ready to plant corn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...