Saturday, April 23, 2011

Green eggs.. and ham?

No, not really.  But my idea of putting a spot of green food coloring on each chicken that laid an egg often left the collected eggs somewhat green too, ha!

As an update on that - all 13 chickens are laying.  Some are just not laying often enough!  The Buff Orpingtons are the best layers, with the Barred Rocks coming in a close second, then the Rhodies and then straggling behind is our white mystery chicken (not a Leghorn.)

So I guess none of them will be sent to freezer camp.. and the more I think about it, the more I wonder if they are in fact not eating ENOUGH chicken feed.  When we had them cooped up more they laid more eggs, but they ate more feed.  Now they're free ranging much more and I wonder if that's put a dent in their production.  I guess it's a trade off... less feed, less eggs, - more feed, more eggs.

We have added Oyster Shell to their feed since we've been getting some interesting eggs.

Oh.. and as an aside... Barred Rock chickens are MEAN when they are sitting on an egg!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...